Thursday, May 26, 2011

Freedom from Overeating

I realized today something amazing…

 

I am developing this amazing sense of freedom. It has been building up slowly, but I actually came to the realization at lunch time. My lunch for the day consisted of two lightly salted rice cakes, 1 serving of garlic hummus, 1c of fresh papaya and a squeeze of lime. It was fantastic! I feel fulfilled, satisfied, and proud of myself and my choices actually.

The amazing thing to me though, is that I don’t feel starving. I never imagined I could eat small portions of food and feel not only satisfied, but full. I thought I would always struggle with weight loss. I thought I would always suffer. I was afraid of the sentiment that weight loss isn’t about dieting, but about making permanent changes because I thought I would always be miserable.

Right now though, I feel free. I feel free that I don’t need to eat 2 burritos with all of the toppings, and then some chips, and then probably some cookies to top off a meal. Yes I used to eat like that. That wasn’t even that long ago. A month or so ago, a meal of that size and consistency wouldn’t have made me bat an eye. Now however, I cringe a little. I won’t lie and say that I don’t crave a burrito now and then, but I don’t need to eat 2 of them smothered in calories and fat and I don’t need to add a helping of sides that are just as bad.

The weight watchers system works for me. It is helping me learn to be accountable for myself without punishing me for mistakes.

But the work, the effort and the commitment come from me. This wouldn’t work if I weren’t willing to put in the work and the time to be successful. I’ve often said that you need to be in the right mind set to make the changes I am talking about. I still believe that. I am in a place where I want results. I want to be healthy. I want to look great. And maybe most of all, I want to feel good about myself.

And just incase, the vampires are hanging around outside with the zombies, I’m going to keep buying that garlic hummus.

2 comments:

Sandelightful said...

Well, according to my mother, garlic works on zombies too...so garlic hummus is a double whammy! LOL

I am so excited for you! You are doing awesome!

BTW - That sounds like a very yummy lunch!

Rachel Schofield - Virtual Interior Decorator & Home Stager said...

I am so happy for you! I love the WW system as much as you do. Don't you find that it not only makes you more mindful of your choices, but also more appreciative of the food you consume?

Post a Comment